Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mono And The Glory of God

It’s not fun to be sick. Especially when your energy is sapped for months on end. That’s exactly what happens with mononucleosis. After going through mono myself during the last 2 months, I’ve suddenly heard everyone else’s horror stories. They’ve convinced me that I haven’t had such a bad time. I could’ve been bedridden and hospitalized for 3 months like some others,… but instead, I was traveling around the former Ottoman Empire for 3 weeks! No wonder I still feel tired today!

In light of this bout with mono, the question I want to ask is, how do we glorify God in the midst of sickness? Sure, it takes energy we might not have to put on a happy face when we’re sick. But I don’t have to fake anything to glorify God through mono. I can simply acknowledge His sovereignty and His steadfast love in the midst of it. Indeed, if I really saw things in perspective, I would be praising Him! … Convinced of this, I came home from the doctor the other day and wrote the above song, “Celebrate in Christ.”

0 comments: