Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Surprise! It's Back-to-work-Day!

So, I thought that I was supposed to go back to work on Tuesday. But at 7AM on Monday the phone rang. Who could that be? I thought. I rolled over in bed and picked up my cell phone. “Hello?” I said a little sleepily.

“Hi, Lydia, it’s Sarah. I got to work this morning and you’re scheduled to work today! Not tomorrow!”

Panic. This is exactly what happens in my nightmares…. I tried to reply as calmly as possible, “Okay, I’m on my way. Just let the charge nurse know that I’ll be a little late. Thanks for calling, Sarah.”

I hopped out of bed, immediately anxious. What a way to return after 6 weeks of medical leave! I thought a bit wryly. Fortunately, Tim sensed my fears and reminded me, “Don’t worry, Lydia. Just try to take it slowly today.” He put the coffee pot on and started packing my lunch while I jumped in the shower. Twenty minutes later I was on my way to the hospital.

And really, the surprise was not so bad. I was only an hour late to work and enjoyed the rest of the shift. All my co-workers were genuinely glad to see me. I know many people were praying for me because the Lord graciously sustained me during the long hours.

0 comments: