Tuesday, September 23, 2008

L.A.'s Best Kept Secret

The L.A. Arboretum — Tim claims that it is “L.A.’s best kept secret.” Maybe that’s because it’s really in Arcadia. But I definitely agree with him that it is a restful haven in a bustling metropolis.

Today I was scheduled to work, but I received one of those rare phone calls at 5:00 AM. It turns out that they didn’t need me. Not many babies being born today.

That was an unexpected gift–an unplanned free day. What do you do when you’re suddenly given 12 hours of free time? Well, I love the quiet of the morning. I got up, snuggled in a cozy robe with a cup of tea on the sofa, and read my Bible. It’s lovely to spend the best part of my day with the Lord.

After a long breakfast with Tim (during which we discussed John 10 and prayed for Somalia), I donned some running shorts and a t-shirt and drove to the Arboretum. I love running the circuit at the Arboretum before it opens to the public. It is such a peaceful and beautiful place; it always reminds me of God’s presence and sovereignty over creation. As I ran, I listened to the words of Psalm 145:8 sung by Shane andShane, “The Lord is gracious, slow to anger, rich in love — He is good to all.”

Amen. Thank you, Lord, that You are so patient with me. You sustain me through rough days and restore me with Your love.

0 comments: