Saturday, January 24, 2009

Purpose In Suffering

Today at work I was greatly impressed by one of my patients. She has a son with autism, a daughter with a chromosomal disorder, and now a baby in the neonatal ICU. When I heard this in report this morning, I expected to find an angry or at least discouraged patient, but her attitude was cheerful and thankful the whole day ….So, I kept wondering, What’s her secret? Is she a Christian?

I got to meet her older two children. They wore beautiful smiles and obviously loved her. So at the end of the day, I asked her about them. In a moment she was gushing with enthusiasm. She talked about how she couldn’t imagine not having these children with special needs. “I never ask God why He gave them to me. I know He has a purpose in this. I mean, it’s hard, but God has been so good to us!”

What an encouragement to hear her say that! I know these children may not be able to say much now, but God has created them for His glory. And they are a testimony of God’s goodness in the midst of great hardship.

0 comments: